Skip to content


Your cart is empty

Article: Grand Slam - Wednesday Grand Slam - Wednesday

Winmau’s MARK WEBSTER produced the performance of his life to dump John Part out of the Grand Slam of Darts on Wednesday, but defending champion Phil Taylor edged into the last eight.

Winmau’s Welshman Webster charged to glory in the battle of darts^ respective World Champions with an accomplished display.

He averaged close to 100 for much of the contest, and hit a 158 checkout alongside three 180s to see off the below-par Canadian, and will now meet Mervyn King in Friday’s quarter-finals.

King broke down in tears on stage after coming from 6-2 and 8-5 down to defeat Kevin McDine in a deciding leg, having travelled from his aunt^s funeral in Suffolk to play their match.

Taylor^s title defence continued with a 10-8 win over Andy Hamilton in a repeat of the 2007 final.

A mid-game surge from four-all to 8-4 aided Taylor^s challenge as he set up a quarter-final with Simon Whitlock.

The Australian won his place in the last eight with a 10-8 defeat of Andy Jenkins, who had defeated defending champion Phil Taylor in the group phase, but paid for missed doubles as Whitlock, who hit six 180s, progressed.

The second round continues on Thursday night, with the eagerly-anticipated encounter between number three seed James Wade and WDF number one Gary Anderson among four matches.

Raymond van Barneveld faces American Darin Young, Terry Jenkins plays in-form Robert Thornton and Darryl Fitton takes on Denis Ovens.

Second Round (Best of 19 legs)

Simon Whitlock 10-8 Andy Jenkins

Mark Webster 10-2 John Part

Phil Taylor 10-8 Andy Hamilton

Mervyn King 10-9 Kevin McDine

Thursday Fixtures (5.30pm start)

Darryl Fitton v Denis Ovens

Terry Jenkins v Robert Thornton

James Wade v Gary Anderson

Raymond van Barneveld v Darin Young


AUSTRALIAN Simon Whitlock edged past Andy Jenkins 10-8 to win a place in the quarter-finals of the Grand Slam of Darts.

The Group B winner continued his impressive start to the tournament to end Jenkins^ hopes, three days after the Portsmouth man had defeated Phil Taylor in the round robin phase.

Jenkins eventually paid the price for missed doubles, as Whitlock - who hit six 180s - capitalised to reach the last eight.

Whitlock made an ideal start, with a maximum in the opening leg setting up double 18 to break throw, after Jenkins missed three darts at double 16.

The Australian then took the second in 14 darts with a two-dart 80 checkout only for Jenkins, fired by a 180 in the third leg, to take three in a row and lead.

Whitlock levelled and took out 90 on double 15 to square the game once more at four-all, only for Jenkins to land a maximum in taking the ninth leg.

Double top put Whitlock level again, and he stepped in following two missed doubles to break throw in the 11th and regain the lead.

The next four legs also went against the throw to leave Whitlock 8-7 up, before the pair traded 180s in leg 16, only for five misses from Jenkins to let the Australian off the hook as he hit double four to move a leg away from victory.

Jenkins took out 95 on double 16 to stay in the game, but a 180 to begin the next leg pushed Whitlock clear and he sealed the win on double ten.

"It was one of the toughest games I^ve ever played," said Whitlock. "I seemed to break throw and then he would break back, but I^m very relieved to win."

Jenkins admitted: "Simon hit some 180s at the right time and a few crucial breaks, and he deserved to win.

"I kept coming but at him but he^d break me. I^m gutted to lose but defeating Phil Taylor was memorable and I^ve enjoyed the tournament."


MARK WEBSTER produced the performance of his life to dump John Part out of the Grand Slam of Darts with a 10-2 victory.

The Welshman charged to glory in the battle of darts^ respective World Champions with an accomplished display.

He averaged close to 100 for much of the contest, and hit a 158 checkout alongside three 180s to see off the below-par Canadian.

Webster punished three missed doubles from Part to claim the first leg against the throw before moving 2-0 up with a 14-darter.

Part replied in kind with a two-dart 86 finish to get off the mark, before Webster landed a maximum in a sparkling 12-darter to move 3-1 up.

Part missed three darts at a double in the next before Webster crucially landed double five with his third dart to take a 4-1 lead into the break, before returning with a sensational 158 checkout to extend his advantage.

A 180 in the seventh helped Webster take full advantage of more missed doubles from Part to go 6-1 up, and another two legs saw the Welshman claim seven without reply.

Part hit double eight to reduce the deficit to 8-2, but Webster hit an improvised double 17 to take the next before sealing his win on double top.

"I don^t think I^ve been playing that well so I^m delighted to win and be in the quarter-finals," said Webster.

"John never got going but it was always in the back of my mind that he came from 4-1 down to beat me last year so I had to keep my concentration and finish him off."

Part said: "It never clicked for me and I don^t think I had one good leg in the game, which is very disappointing."


PHIL TAYLOR remains on course to retain his Grand Slam of Darts title following a narrow 10-8 win over Andy Hamilton.

The duo enjoyed a repeat of last year^s final at the Wolverhampton Civic, with Taylor again emerging victorious after a gallant effort from Hamilton.


battled back from 8-4 down to push Taylor all the way, but the defending champion will now meet Australian Simon Whitlock in Friday^s quarter-finals.


punished four missed doubles from Hamilton to win the game^s opening leg in 14 darts, and took out double eight for a 2-0 lead.


landed a 180 and double ten to cut the deficit, but wasted his chance to punish Taylor^s misses in the next with three off-target doubles of his own before the Stoke legend took the leg on double one at the tenth time of asking.

A 102 finish from Hamilton cut the lead to 3-2, and after Taylor took the sixth the PDC world number seven won back-to-back legs to level the game.


, typically, found another gear to reel off four successive legs and move 8-4 up, before Hamilton landed double ten to stop the run.

A 121 finish on the bull gave him a sixth leg, and he then landed a 180 to set up a double 16 finish in pulling back to 8-7.


took out 107, with Hamilton waiting on 36, to move a leg away from the win, but double 16 from the underdog kept him in the game.

But he was left waiting on 24, having hit a 177 to leave a double in the next only for Taylor to hit double top and claim victory.

"Andy^s scoring was fantastic but he missed doubles early on that cost him," said Taylor. "When I went 8-4 up I thought I had him, but he doesn^t give in.

"He was fantastic and I^m relieved to be through. Simon Whitlock^s a similar player, a good scorer and finisher so I^ve got to dig in and step up a gear."


added: "It was a really good game and I enjoyed it.

"A couple of early doubles let me down but I hung in there and battled, and I pushed Phil all the way."


MERVYN KING came through a dramatic final-leg shoot-out to battle through to the quarter-finals of the Grand Slam of Darts.

King trailed 6-2 and 8-5 against the 2007 semi-finalist, who failed to close out the victory before being narrowly beaten in the deciding leg.

An emotional King, who broke down in tears after the game, dedicated the win to his aunt, whose funeral he had attended earlier on Wednesday before returning to Wolverhampton for the contest.

That perhaps played some part in a slow start, as McDine produced some superb finishing to take a 4-1 lead, with King^s only leg coming courtesy of a 106 finish.

Double nine gave King leg six, but a 12-darter from McDine restored his cushion before he punished four missed doubles to move 6-2 up.

King landed a 180 in taking leg nine and, after McDine landed double 12 for the next, took two in a row to pull back to 7-5.

But a missed double top in the next allowed McDine in for an 8-5 scoreline, only for King to punish misses from the youngster in the next three and draw level.

King hit a 180 in the next, but double top put McDine a leg away from victory.

King took leg 18 with McDine waiting on 32, and landed a 180 in the decider, only for a missed double 16 to let his opponent in.

McDine, though, was off-target on double 12 for the match, and King showed no mercy to land his double and move into the last eight, where he meets Mark Webster.

"It means so much to me and for many reasons it was the hardest game of my life," admitted King. "It^s been an emotional day and I^m very relieved to have got through.

"I thought Kevin was going to run away with it at one point. I had a bad start and thought it was going to cost me, but luckily it didn^t."

McDine said: "I started well but Mervyn fought back strongly and was the better man. I^m disappointed to lose but I enjoyed the game."

Read more Grand Slam - Day 4

ANDY HAMILTON won the historic nine-dart shoot-out with Red Dragon’s Darts Alan Tabern to move into round two of the Grand Slam of Darts - where he will meet Phil Taylor in a repeat...

Read more Grand Slam - Day 6

GARY ANDERSON defied a nine-darter from James Wade to win his place in the quarter-finals of the Grand Slam of Darts with a 10-8 victory on Thursday night. Wade capped a comeback fr...

Read more