Skip to content


Your cart is empty

Article: Alan Towe - A Look Back In Time - 1st April 2003

Alan Towe - A Look Back In Time - 1st April 2003

After four consecutive wins in division four of the BDO Inter Counties Championships a defeat at Tyne and Wear for the West Midlands was looked upon merely as a blip, but now after their fixture at home to Breconshire, perhaps a few doubts may be creeping into the West Midlands camp.

The ladies ‘B’, who have enjoyed quite a successful season so far, with four wins in five outings, began the weekend. The Brecon women were first to settle, a 3-0 win for Danni Goffe over Sara Jukes getting them on their way. Tracey Rogerson was up next. She accounted for Jean Tibbetts with a 301 result and with similar scorelines from Pam Shepherd and Sharon Hill against respective opponents Claire Hobbs and Sue Smith, Breconshire, after only four games were in an unassailable 4-0 lead.

Mary Jones added to the visitors cause when she defeated Lynette Pearce in three straight legs before West Midlands, in the shape of Teresa Johnston produced their one and only winner of the game. Teresa, with a 19.78 average beat Trisha Carpenter 3-0 to put the final score at 5-1 to the away side.

Already there was, if not a mountain a rather large hill to climb and who better than the men’s ‘B’ side who were able to boast a 100% win record to put them back into the game.

The match could not have had a better start for the Midlander’s as Paddy Johnson (25.88) kicked off with a man of the match performance beating Garry Jones 3-2. Jones had fought back to level terms after trailing 2-0. Billy Owen levelled for the away team, a 3-1 success against Paul Johnson. However, the remainder of the half was all West Midlands. Adrian Hammersley and Steve Penwright both won 3-0 in the respective games against John Price and Elwyn Jones. The Alan Cockayne and Avtar Singh had 3-2 wins over Howard Evans and Huw Jones after both of the away players had taken the lead. So the hosts went into the break with a commanding 5-1 lead, which incidentally put the overall score back to level terms, 6-6.

The second half also began well, Peter Wyse took a 2-0 lead over Eddy Thomas and despite being pegged back to 2-2 went on to win the decider. Joe Biggs recorded the all important seventh winning game when he beat Lee Savage 3-0. Breconshire then had their best spell of the game, three consecutive wins. Alan Williams began their fight back with a clinical 3-0 win over Steve Brindley. Paul Babb’s 3-1 success against Jamie Parsons added another notch to Brecon’s tally and Davis Matthews reduced the arrears to 7-4 when he won 3-0 against Fred Parsons. The final game went to Mervyn Field (West Midlands) a 3-0 success against Simon Griffiths to finish the match with an 8-4 win fir the ‘B’ side.

The women’s ‘A’ with two draws and three defeats were still seeking their first win of the campaign. This was not to be the day they found it although the game did get off to a very promising start when Claire Downing (13.81) chalked up a 3-1 victory over Kath Goldup, Claire’s win proving to be a match award winner also. Then it suddenly all went pear shaped. Rita Jones (Breconshire) beat Kath Jenkins 3-1 and Liz Williams, after twice being pulled back to level terms, won 3-2 against Teresa Johnston. Janthea Williams, with a 3-1 win over Teresa Johnson extended the visitors lead to 3-1 before Natalie Evans guaranteed the victory with her 3-1 defeat of Angie Perry.

Taking the result to 4-2 to Breconshire, Janet Hubbard (West Midlands) twice came from behind against Christine Sheen to win 3-2.

Trailing 13-11 once again it was down to the men’s team to try to pull the result out of the fire. A bright start from Ian Jones winning 3-0 over Lenny Wannacott was not sustained as Martin Tibbetts lost 3-1 to John Evans and Frank Johnson went down by the same scoreline to Philip Page. Darren Williams levelled the match when he beat Mike Gummary 3-0, but wins from Phill Evans and Andy Chappell over Mick James and Gary Taylor gave the away team a 4-2 lead at the halfway point.

The second half began much better. Richard Foster (32.67) had a great 3-0 win over Richie Williams, with legs of 16, 14 and 16 darts to earn him the man of the match award. John Pountney made it 4-4 with his 3-1 win over Steve Grumbach and with a 3-0 success from Chris Hickman against Mike Shipsey the West Midlands went ahead 5-4, for the first time since the opening game.

Chas Gough cancelled out the hosts lead when he won 3-1 against Viv Gould, but a 3-0 win, including a 121 checkout in the final leg from Dave Evans over Amos Smith put the home team within an ace of victory and an overall draw. It was not to be, Colin Davies put up a brave performance against Chris Hill, coming from behind twice, but on the day it was not enough as Hill went on to win 3-2, give his side a share of the points and an overall 22-17 victory.

Now from what appeared to be a comfortable lead at the top of the promotion table the West Midlands have had their lead reduced to one point, Gwynedd, who defeated Shropshire 25-14 are lying in second place just waiting to take over if their rivals should falter yet again.

Saunders Hall WMC was the setting for both the men’s and women’s finals of the Bedworth Gateway Open Darts competitions. The ladies final was contested by the White Hart, Lincolnshire and the White Hart form Wiltshire. The contest turned out to be a one sided affair with the Lincolnshire team winning 4-0. Tracey Wilkinson opened their account with her 2-1 win over Debbie Holmes. Hazel Winterton made it 2-0 when she beat Sian Robinson with a similar 2-1 result.

The pressure was heightened on the Wiltshire outfit as Lynne Ormond put their opponents within one game of victory when she beat Tina Rowlands in two straight legs. Sylvia Seabrook wrapped up the issue when she won 2-0 against Carol Rich to give the Lincolnshire team the title.

Losing semi finalists were Netherfield Tavern (Buckinghamshire) and Air Balloon Tavern (Bristol).

The men’s final consisted of the Nags Head, Cambridgeshire and Tipton Social from the West Midlands. Kevin Bedford gave the Nags Head first blood with his 2-0 beating of Lol Frazer. However, wins from Steve James and Ian Jones over Barry Gordon and Dennis Harbour reversed the advantage giving the Tipton side a 2-1 lead.

A 2-0 win from Ian Kent over Tom Aldridge kept the Nags Head in the hunt and levelled the match at 2-2. The Midlander’s forged ahead again when Darren Williams, with a 2-1 result got the better of Gary Die. However, Paul Crawford’s straight 2-0 win over Jamie Parsons took the match to the seventh and deciding game between Eddie Martin (Nags Head) and Dave Pritchard. Pritchard looked all set to hand the Tipton team the title when he won the opener in 21 darts, but he failed on his doubles in the second and Martin stepped in with a 10 outshot to force a final leg. Pritchard took the lead with scores of 100, 80,140 and 100. Then with a further throw of 49 he had three clear darts at double sixteen. He failed leaving double eight. Martin meanwhile had also come down to a finish of 77, which he smartly put away to give his team a very close 4-3 victory.

Sadly I have to report the untimely death of Cedric Fellows one of the West Midlands long serving players and officials. 66 years old Cedric was married to Margaret, both of them West Midland Super League and County players for many years. Cedric not only played for the county but was also Vice Chairman and Chairman in his time, but after suffering from arthritis and heart problems cut back on his commitments. However, some three years ago he came back to the county scene officiating on the door and helping in any way he could. He was truly a dedicated and devoted man to the West Midlands cause and will be greatly missed by all who knew him.

Our deepest sympathy goes to Margaret and the family.

The Forest of Arden Winter League has been engaged in their men’s and women’s singles knockouts. Playing at Sheldon Heath Social Club taking the men’s title was Highwood Arrows representative Andy Hutchings who defeated Red Arrows man Rob South in the final. Losing semi finalists were Jim Norris who lost to team mate Hutchings, while South defeated John Cartmell (Red Arrows).

In the ladies event Pat Hussey (Cock and Hens) lifted the crown with a final success over Pat Whing (Mackadown Social). Reaching the last four were Sue Comerford (Harvester) and Stephanie Didierserre (Cock and Hens).

On the agenda for the Small Heath League have been the League Delegates Knockouts and the Ladies Knockout. Results for the Delegates were Group One winner Neil Parsonage (Black Horse), runner up Colin Wyatt (Gunmakers), Group Two winner Terry Webster (Gunmakers), runner up Colin Jones (Ward End Ex Service Club), Group Three winner Tom Webster (Gunmakers), runner up Noel Cook (Antelope).

Taking the ladies title was Vicky Hanlon from the Gunmakers, who beat fellow Gunmakers player Donna Wheeler in the final hurdle.

Read more

The Iceman versus SightRight

The latest World Champion Iceman Gerwyn Price goes head to head in his toughest technical battle yet against the World's undisputed accuracy coach and SightRight founder – Stephen Feeney. Set up l...

Read more

Alan Towe - A Look Back In Time - 1st May 2003

After the first four games in division four of the BDO Inter Counties Championship season West Midlands record read won four, drawn nil, lost nil. Now after seven games the statistics are won four,...

Read more