Skip to content


Your cart is empty

Article: Grand Slam of Darts - Friday Round-Up Grand Slam of Darts - Friday Round-Up

Red Dragon Darts SCOTT WAITES, Terry Jenkins and Robert Thornton all won through deciding leg battles to reach the quarter-finals of the Grand Slam of Darts on Friday night.

The trio and Australian Simon Whitlock completed the last eight line-up at the Wolverhampton Civic Hall in a dramatic night of darts.

Waites came from 9-7 down to defeat Gary Anderson in a thriller, defying 11 maximums, a ten-dart finish and three 11-darters from the Scot to win the final three legs.

The Yorkshireman admitted afterwards: "It was an unbelievable game. Gary had a few loose darts later on, and I managed to creep back into the match."

Waites now meets Whitlock in Saturday^s quarter-finals, after the Australian stormed past Steve Beaton 10-1 in their second round game.

2008 runner-up Jenkins and Thornton, though, both went to deciding legs in their clashes against James Wade and Darin Young.

Jenkins took out a 121 checkout to win the final leg of his brilliant clash with left-hander Wade, while Thornton produced a 116 checkout to take victory over American star Young.

Saturday^s other quarter-finals see reigning champion Phil Taylor take on BDO number one Tony O^Shea, while Raymond van Barneveld comes up against Kevin Painter. Grand Slam of Darts

Second Round - Friday

Robert Thornton 10-9 Darin Young

Simon Whitlock 10-1 Steve Beaton

Terry Jenkins 10-9 James Wade

Gary Anderson 9-10 Scott Waites

Quarter-Finals - Saturday

Afternoon Session (1pm-5pm)

Simon Whitlock v Scott Waites

Terry Jenkins v Robert Thornton

Evening Session (7pm-11pm)

Raymond van Barneveld v Kevin Painter

Phil Taylor v Tony O^Shea

Best of 31 legs


ROBERT THORNTON took out a 116 finish to win a deciding leg shoot-out with Darin Young and progress to the quarter-finals of the Grand Slam of Darts.

Thorntonlooked set to coast to victory when he took a 7-2 lead in the contest, only to allow the American back into the game with a string of missed doubles.

Young battled back to force a deciding leg, but Thornton was first to a finish and superbly took out 116 to ensure a last eight spot.

"I thought I was going to blow it," said Thornton. "Early on I couldn^t miss but then I lost my doubles and I^m just relieved to be through!"

Thornton landed a 180 in opening the game with a 14-darter against the throw, only for Young to level on double top and then hit a maximum in taking the third leg on double 18.

A 98 finish from Thornton saw him square the contest, and he then produced a 14-dart finish to move back ahead.

Checkouts of 72 and 96 put him 5-2 up, with another 14-dart leg, which featured a 177 to set up 24, putting him 6-2 up.

Double top then gave the Scot a five-leg cushion before Young landed double top to end the run of six successive legs.

Young then capitalised on six missed doubles from Thornton to take the 11th leg, and also won the next two in reducing the arrears to 7-6.

Thornton hit a 180 and a pressure double 16 to break throw in the 14th leg, only to then miss a further six darts in the next leg, with double seven seeing Young hit back again.

Double ten put Thornton a leg away from the win, but Young hit back to win the next two on double ten to force a deciding leg.

Thornton, with the throw in the final leg, held the advantage and a score of 26 from Young gave him breathing space before the Scottish ace took out 116 to book his quarter-final place.

"It^s disappointing for me to lose but neither of us produced our best darts," said Young. "He missed a lot of doubles and let me back into the game, but it made for an interesting match."


Red Dragon Darts SIMON WHITLOCK powered pasthis stable mate Steve Beaton 10-1 to reach the quarter-finals of the Grand Slam of Darts for a second successive year.

The Australian produced a commanding performance to book his last eight place, winning the first seven legs without reply to take charge of the game.

Beaton, the European Championship runner-up last month, took one leg but missed his chance to get back into the game as Whitlock progressed.

A missed double top from Beaton allowed Whitlock an immediate break of throw in the game^s opening leg, taking out double eight for the lead.

Finishes of double top, double four and double 16 helped him into a 4-0 lead before he defied a Beaton 180 in the fifth leg to land double five for an 80 finish.

The pair traded maximums in the next before double four put Whitlock 6-0 up, and a 112 finish pushed him further ahead.

A 180 from Beaton left him 157 in the eight, and he agonisingly missed double top for the finish, landing instead in double one.

He also missed five further darts to get off the mark, but Whitlock wasted his chances and Beaton landed double one to finally secure a leg.

A 138 from Whitlock restored his seven-leg cushion, and three misses from Beaton in the next saw Whitlock take a 9-1 lead.

He then hit a superb 180, his second of the game, to set up double 18 for a 13-dart win in sealing victory.

"Some of my finishing, especially on the higher scores, was very pleasing," said Whitlock.

"I^m in good form and enjoying every single minute of this. I^ve worked really hard towards this and hopefully it will continue."

Beaton admitted: "I wouldn^t say I played too poorly but Simon took every chance he got.

"Going into the first break 5-0 down was a killer and your head goes down, and I was on the back foot from then.

"Simon came out on a mission and was brilliant, and if he carries on like this he^ll be hard to beat this week."


TERRY JENKINS produced a 121 bullseye finish to see off James Wade 10-9 in a thriller to move into the Grand Slam of Darts quarter-finals.

World number three Wade came from 4-1 down to lead Jenkins 9-8, but never had a dart for victory as Jenkins took the final two legs to break his heart.

Wade hit a nine-darter in last year^s second round but lost to Gary Anderson, and the left-hander again departed Wolverhampton in the last 16 with the loss.

Wade opened the game with a 180, but Jenkins held throw for the opening leg after two missed doubles from the left-hander, who replied to level in 13 darts.

Jenkins hit a maximum in taking the third, and punished three misses from Wade to break in the fourth leg, before taking out 127 on the bull for a 4-1 lead.

Wade finished a 14-darter on double 12 for the sixth leg before Jenkins restored a three-leg cushion - only for Wade to take three in a row, including two 180s, to square the match.

Wade hit another maximum to leave a finish in the 11th leg, but Jenkins took out 80 for a 14-darter to edge 6-5 up.

The duo traded double top and double ten finishes in sharing the next four legs, before a 138 score from Wade set up double top for a 13-darter in breaking to lead for the first time at 9-8.

Jenkins landed double ten to ensure a decider, which Wade opened with a 180 only for two scores of 140 and a 100 left him 121 after nine darts.

Wade left himself 126, but never got a chance at the finish as Jenkins hit the bullseye for a 121 checkout to claim a thrilling victory.

"It was a great game and I^m delighted to get over the winning line," said Jenkins. "I knew I had to take out the 121 as James was right behind me, and luckily the bull went in."

Jenkins takes on Robert Thornton in Saturday^s quarter-finals, and added: "Robert^s been really on form this week and I^ll have to be on top of my game to beat him."


Red Dragon Darts SCOTT WAITES came from 9-7 down to edge a thrilling battle with Gary Anderson and win a quarter-final spot in the Grand Slam of Darts.

Anderson hit 11 180s, a ten-dart finish and averaged over 100, but paid the price for failing to close out victory after moving to the brink of a last eight place.

Waites took the last three legs in 14, 15 and 15 darts to set up a quarter-final with Simon Whitlock on Saturday afternoon.

Anderson began in blistering fashion with five 180s in the first four legs and an 11-dart finish in the second leg, although Waites twice held throw to stay level.

The Scot produced the first break in the fifth, punishing a missed double 16 to edge ahead, only for Waites to land a 180 and an 81 finish in breaking back.

Anderson hit another 180 in the next, but was denied his chance at a double as Waites took out a key double eight to move 4-3 up.

Anderson made brilliant response with an 11-darter followed by a sensational ten-dart finish to move 5-4 up, and double 16 put him two legs clear.

Waites took out 86 to reduce the arrears, with the two trading 180s in the next as another 11-darter from Anderson - his third of the game - put him 7-4 up.

Waites landed double five to take the 13th leg and produced a brilliant 136 checkout to square the game in the next.

Anderson landed double five to move 8-7 up before the pair traded maximums once again in leg 16, with a missed double top from Waites punished as the Scot moved to the brink of victory.

Double two gave Waites an eighth leg, and he ensured a decider with double 18 after Anderson agonisingly missed double seven for a 122 checkout and victory.

Anderson kicked off the final leg with a 140, but Waites replied with two of his own and a 130 score before taking out double five for the win.

"I can^t believe I won the game and am in shock," said Waites afterwards. "It was an unbelievable game.

"Gary had a few loose darts later on, and I managed to creep back into the match."

Anderson said: "It^s fine hitting 11 180s but I had too many 59s and 60s in between, and that^s what cost me.
"I should have wrapped it up when I went 9-7 up but Scott did well to come back."

Read more

Red Dragon Darts World Ranking 2009

You won’t be surprised to read that after reaching the Grand Slam final, Scott Waites is this week’s player of the week. He climbed up from number 23 to number 10 in the Red Dragon World Rankings...

Read more

Darts Results

  Lithuania Open results. Played 22/11/2009.Ermos Koradou defeated Arunas Ciplys to win the final.Supplied by Darts Database

Read more